History

1957 – Bethesda Chapel Ltd started as an English-language Sunday School within the premises of Geylang Gospel Hall at no. 55, Lorong 29, Geylang in 1957. It started as a Sunday School.

Milestones of Bethesda Chapel

  • 1957 – Sunday School started
  • 1960 – Young People’s Group (YPG) formed
  • 31 Dec 1977 – Bethesda Chapel Limited incorporated under the Companies Act, Chapter 185.
  • 1978 – Adults Group formed from YPG
  • 24 July 1983 – Last service conducted at 55 Lorong 29, Geylang. The land was acquired by the Housing and Development Board
  • 1983 to 1986– Worship services held at Duke Hotel and other services at Bethesda Serangoon Church.
  • 1985 – Caring Group Ministry formed
  • August 1986 – Worship and other services in the premise vacated by Bethesda Hall (Ang Mo Kio) at Bras Basah Road
  • 6 Sep 1987 – first worship service at 27 Lorong Melayu.
  • 14 Feb 1988 – 1st Chinese Service held
  • 1988 – Ladies Fellowship, YPG, Junior Sunday School (JSS) and Senior Sunday School (SSS) restarted.
  • 1990 – BC Kindergarten started
  • 1998 – Adults Bible Classes (ABC) at Navigator’s Building
  • 1999 – Care Group re-emerged as Small Groups Minsitry
  • 2002 – Adult Bible Class restarted at Bethesda Chapel
  • 14 Nov 2003 – Building extension project with worship hall reoriented, space for functions, rooms for bible classes and kindergarten, library and office spaces.
  • 7 July 2007 – BC celebrated her 5oth anniversary
  • 2010 – Young Adult Bible (under SSS umbrella) and 10 am Adult Bible Study classes started
  • Feb 2011 – BC Ladies Fellowship restarted
for the rest of the milestones, refer to the Bethesda Legacy, pp84-96, 2004).
First Elders (as of 31 Dec 1977)

Dane Herriot Loveday
R.A. Mitchell
Loh Choon Hock
Tan Kok Beng

First Deacons (as of 31 Dec 1977)

Robert Toh Kui Yee
Arthur Leong Meng Sun
Wong Loke Hiang
Fong Cheng Huat
Adrian Tian Kheng Joo